The government has extended the deadline for hajj registration till Apr 8 this year considering the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research (IEDCR) till Wednesday (Mar 25) confirmed a total of 39 coronavirus cases.
Covid-19, a new strain of coronavirus, has so far killed more than 19,500 people in over 190 countries and territories including five from Bangladesh.
State Minister for Religious Affairs Sheikh Md Abdullah informed the media about the decision at the secretariat on Wednesday, reports UNB.
“Communications with Saudi Arabia is currently suspended due to coronavirus threat but registrations will continue so that we can send the pilgrims immediately after the situation improves,” he said.
Hajj registration started on Mar 2.
Pilgrims will have to pay Tk151,990 each for registration under private management, Abdullah said adding that no additional charges will be allowed.
Earlier on February 24, the cabinet approved the draft Hajj Package 2020, fixing the minimum cost for an intending pilgrim at Tk3.15 lakh under package 3 managed by the government.
This year, a total of 137,198 people are scheduled go to Saudi Arabia to perform hajj -- 17,198 of them will travel under government management.