Four Bangladeshis among NZ shooting deaths

Bangla Tribune Report
Published : 11:10, Mar 17, 2019 | Updated : 16:57, Mar 17, 2019

Aktar, holds up a photo of her husband who she says is missing after Friday`s mosque attacks, outside a community center near Masjid Al Noor in Christchurch, New Zealand, March 16, 2019. REUTERSBodies of four Bangladeshis have been identified among the 50 victims, who were killed in New Zealand mosque shooting.

“According to an unofficial tally released by the New Zealand authority, the four Bangladeshis are – Dr Abdus Samad, Husne Ara Parvin, Mozammel and Omar Faruk,” Australia’s Bangladesh High Commission Deputy chief Tarek Ahmed told Bangla Tribune on Sunday (Mar 17).

He also said that they are trying to identify another Bangladesh national, who has been missing since Friday (Mar 15) incident.

“We are still looking for one Bangladeshi named Zakaria Bhuiyan. I am at the morgue with an acquaintance of Bhuiya. I requested police to allow him inside the morgue so that he can identify the body, should it be among the victims,” he said.

“Another Bangladeshi, identified as Lipi, is seriously injured and her condition is critical. She is set to undergo a surgery,” said Ahmed before adding, “Two others injured – Rubel and Motasser are now doing better.”

The Bangladesh diplomat said that the New Zealand authorities are providing all sorts of assistance and if anyone wants to take the bodies of their loved one home, they will help making the arrangements.

“Among the four dead Bangladeshis, Dr Samad and Parvin are New Zealand citizens while Mozammel and Faruk are Bangladeshis,” added Ahmed.

The death toll in the New Zealand mosque shootings rose to 50 on Sunday after police found another body at one of the mosques, and Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said bodies of those killed would begin to be released to families for burial.

Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, a suspected white supremacist, was charged with murder on Saturday. Tarrant was remanded without a plea and is due back in court on April 5 where police said he was likely to face more charges, reports Reuters.

Friday's attack, which Ardern labelled as terrorism, was the worst ever peacetime mass killing in New Zealand and the country had raised its security threat level to the highest.

Footage of the attack on one of the mosques was broadcast live on Facebook, and a "manifesto" denouncing immigrants as "invaders" was also posted online via links to related social media accounts.

After narrowly escaping the massacre, Bangladesh's cricket team returned back home from New Zealand on Saturday.

A Singapore Airlines flight carrying the Tigers and the coaching staff landed at the Shahjalal International Airport at 10.45pm.

“We consider ourselves extremely lucky to have avoided the incident,” Bangladesh skipper Mahmuddulah told a brief media call at the Dhaka airport after landing.