Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem lands in jail

Bangla Tribune Report
Published : 11:19, Jun 17, 2019 | Updated : 17:11, Jun 17, 2019

Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem Hossain being brought to a Dhaka court in Jun 17, 2019. Photo: Bangla Tribune

Bangladesh Cyber Tribunal has sent former Sonagazi OC Moazzem to jail, turning down his bail appeal in a case that involves the murder of madrasa student Nusrat Jahan Rafi.
The tribunal issued the order on Monday and set the next charge hearing for Jun 30.
Former OC of Feni’s Sonagazi Police Station Moazzem Hossain will be produced before Cyber Tribunal in Dhaka on Monday (Jun 17).
Earlier on Monday, Former OC of Feni’s Sonagazi Police Station Moazzem Hossain was produced before Cyber Tribunal in Dhaka.
Moazzem was handed over to Sonagazi police in less than 24-hours he was arrested from the High Court area in Dhaka on Sunday (Jun 16), Sonagazi police OC Mayein Uddin told Bangla Tribune.
Moazzem has been on the run after a warrant was issued in a case filed overspreading the video of Feni madrasa student Nusrat Jahan Rafi, who died after she was set on fire, on social media.
On May 27, the Cyber Tribunal ordered his arrest after the Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) filed its probe report on the case.
The PBI probe found Moazzem guilty under sections 26, 29 and 31 of the Digital Security Act for spreading a video of Nusrat’s statement on Facebook.
According to the case details, Nusrat went to Sonagazi model police station to file a case against Sonagazi Islamia Fazil (Degree) Madrasa Principal Siraj-ud-Daula, on Mar 27, for sexually assaulting her the day before.
Moazzem recorded a video of her statement without her consent asking her offensive and insulting questions. The video then surfaced on various social media platforms. It was alleged that Moazzem had uploaded the video.
Moazzem, whose voice was audible in the video, appeared unconcerned about Nusrat’s complaints and said the sexual assault was not a major incident. He had told Nusrat to go home and assured her he would take steps in accordance with her written complaint. However, no action was taken against Siraj-ud-Daula.
Nusrat, 18, an Alim examinee, was set on fire by Siraj-ud-Daula’s followers on Apr 6 as she refused to withdraw the sexual abuse charges her family had filed against him. She died from her injuries four days later.