National Food Safety Lab (NFSL) has said that high level of pesticides and antibiotics were found in unprocessed cow’s milk. Of the harmful ingredients found is Endosulfan, which is banned in 80 countries, including Bangladesh.
Bangladesh Agriculture Extension Department says: “This pesticide has been banned in the country when 13 children died in 2012 after eating lichis laced with Endosulfan.”
NFSL research says that almost all cow fodder has antibiotic above the tolerance level.
In yoghurt made from milk, lead, chromium has been detected. Antibiotic has also been found in packet milk.
Specialists feel that this is due to excessive use of medicine and not following the advice of veterinary doctors.
This has created a terrible health hazard.
Regarding the death of 13 children in 2012, ICDDRB’s research head, Saiful Islam, told the media, “The farmers used Endosulfan which made the fruits deadly; but the banned pesticide is still used in Bangladesh on a limited scale.”
Head of NFSL Dr. Shahnila Ferdousi said, “In many parts of Bangladesh, raw milk is used to make yoghurt and, therefore, a lot of germs remain alive.”
This milk has to be boiled properly; even pasteurized milk has to be boiled.
Additional director of the Agriculture Extension Department AZM Sabbir Jahan told Bangla Tribune, “Endosulfan is not used anymore and it has been labelled ‘harmful’ at our international convention.”
Dr. AKM Humayun Kabir of Chattogram Veterinary and Animal Science Department says, “If the cow is healthy then there is no scope of finding chemicals; sometimes chemicals are used by those who sell milk in the open market.”
Lead and other unwanted items come in milk from animal fodder, the grass from industrial areas have high lead content, he added.